Monday, December 28, 2009

Three Cheers for the Gruesomes ...

Would it surprise you to learn that I had a very difficult time justifying my pick for the D-E-S book of the year?  It's true.   Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was not the "best" book that I had read all year.  It wasn't the funniest, the most touching, nor was it the most thought provoking.  It was, however, the most entertaining and as such, worked its way to the top of my gift list. 

That said, as good as Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was, it was not the only book that I shared with my friends.  For the boys in my life, I chose Andrew Davidson's The Gargoyle.  Narrated by a drug-addled narcissist , The Gargoyle is a "male" version of The Time Traveler's Wife.  It is a love story that transcends time and place and takes the reader through the depths of hell in a way that will remind you of Dante.  In short, it is a good tale and I would highly recommend it for a wintry afternoon.

Happy reading!  I wish you and your loved ones all the best for a joyful and prosperous 2010.  May your inner light guide your way.

No comments: