Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Not so Beautiful Music
Music of the Primes
Marcus du Sautoy
Harper Collins


So, I think it is time for another heartfelt admission from the D-E-S. As much as it pains me to say it, I can be a terrible procrastinator. I know that some of you reading this are snorting in disbelief, but it's true. Very occasionally, I put things off until they pile up and loom over me like a darkling cloud. Lately, my procrastination has involved two things -- getting myself sorted out for my upcoming move and sitting down to write the blog entry related to Music of the Primes. My move date is, gulp, Wednesday, so I had to get my asterisk in gear today to finalize the logistics. Since I had some time to spare, I figured I should get this task over with as well. Here goes nothing ...

The Music of the Primes is a book about math. More specifically, it explores the magic of prime numbers and in particular, takes a good look at the Riemann Hypothesis -- one of mathematics most famous, and still unsolved, hypotheses. If I were to pick a single word to describe this book, however, it would be "dissonant". The parts of the work dealing specifically with prime number and number theory were, to a lay person, very engaging. The author also attempts to provide a brief overview of the history of mathematics and here is where the book, for me, starts to fall apart and loses my interest. Some of my friends absolutely raved about this text and maybe, just maybe, my expectations were just a little too high. Two whole numbers (or is that integers?) out of five.

1 comment:

Nigel Welsh said...

No no no no. You Medieval English Student. This book is incredible. A whole book on prime numbers - that in itself surely deserved 3 stars. The fact that it is sublimely interesting conveys very complex ideas that can be understood without a substantive background in mathematics should get it an extra star. The final one comes for the glorious history it covers – particularly that lost hero of the 20th century, Alan Turing, without whom we’d speaking German (in blighty anyway).