Monday, December 31, 2007

Happy Friggin' New Year

Blood Brothers
Nora Roberts
Jove

Yes, I am pathetic and totally willing to admit it. Here it is, New Year's Eve, and I'm at home reading and working on my blog. For those of you that know me well, this will not come as much of a surprise. You see, I definitely have a thing against New Year.

As a really little kid, I actually loved it. We used to go to this house party at a friend's place in the country and while my parents never let me stay up until midnight, they did let me eat chips, inhale candy, and drink pop. Big night when I got to do all that and had bedtime extended to 9:30 pm.

It wasn't really until my teenage years that the "problems" began. 1985 saw me ringing in the New Year with a cast on my arm and bruises all over my body. My Aunt Jack and I had been in a head-on collision earlier in the afternoon. We were going to Kitchener to see a Nylons concert, got caught in some slush and then whammo, straight into on-coming traffic.

The next year, I thought I'd take it easy and invite Jennie Beaton over for a quiet night of movies and gossip. Well, quiet until Jennie raided the liquor cabinet and we both did our first drunk-and-dials. To this day I'm pretty sure my parents believed that we had a terrible case of the flu. I'm also pretty sure that I just wanted to die.

In my early twenties, I usually spent New Year's Eve with my boyfriend and his rugby buddies. I was the only girlfriend in the group who was from "away" and as the lone import, the girls didn't go out of their way to make me feel terribly welcome. I'd hang with the guys and flirt until they got too drunk and then hie myself off to bed.

Then there was the time that I broke out in hives when I belatedly realized that I was allergic to the echinacea I was taking to ward off a winter cold. I had hives where, well, you'd think a girl couldn't get hives. My date for the evening thought I was making it all up and never spoke to me again. Sigh. He was hot and the evening could have been promising. Wasn't meant to be, I suppose.

The next year things were looking up and I found myself celebrating on a beach in Curacao with my then boyfriend and his best friend. Sounds ideal, right? Well, imagine being on a holiday when both the girlfriend and the best friend are in love with the boyfriend. That was the final straw and from then on, I decided to celebrate New Year on my own by doing something that I love. Sometimes I have a movie fest (last year I watched all six episodes of Star Wars back-to-back,) sometimes I fast and indulge in girlie stuff like pedicures, getting my hair done, doing makeup, and sometimes, like this year, I go on a romance binge and read all sorts of trashy books.

Blood Brothers, the most recent offering from Nora Roberts, definitely qualifies as trash. The basic premise is that three small town boys go to the local haunted wood to celebrate their birthday (they were all born on the same day at the same time.) While there, they swear an oath of loyalty, and in binding it with their blood, unleash a demon into the world. Flash forward 21 years -- the same boys (now men) need to figure out how to stop the demon. Enter Quinn, a writer who decides to come to the town to do some research for her next book. She's lovely, curvy, and somehow connected to the strange goings-on. Of course, she just happens to fall in love with one of the boys turned men. I have to say, the plot is a tad more complicated than the average Harlequin, and the mix of fantasy and romance has caught my interest. I'll probably stick around for the second and third installments. Two screaming demons out of five.

No comments: