Wednesday, December 19, 2007

And the Nominees Are ...

So, it's not like the D-E-S has been deluged with requests or anything, but a few of you written to ask about this year's candidates for best book. It's a tough one ... I ended up reading a lot of really good stuff this year and picking just one is going to take some serious thought.

In fact, it might be easier to come up with some exclusion criteria. Romances are not eligible by virtue of the fact that they are absolute crap and essentially the same book regardless of sub-genre, historical period, or setting.

Non-fiction books, while impressive and impactful, are not eligible. Maybe someday I will get motivated enough to set up another category for a non-fiction winner. But not today.

Any post where I made mention of Bruce Campbell -- those books aren't eligible either. Don't get me wrong, I love Bruce. But he's not serious and high-minded -- not at all what we are looking for in a D-E-S book of the year.

So, after all that, the nominees are:

Three Day Road Joseph Boyden
Arthur & George Julian Barnes
The Road Cormac McCarthy
This Blinding Absence of Light Tahar Ben Jelloun
The Traveler John Twelve Hawks

2 comments:

VL said...

Since the only one of these I've read is The Road (and that thanks to your inspirational review) ... my non-eligible vote goes to Cormac Murphy. ;-)

P.S. Hope you have a fabulous Christmas & New Year, D-E-S!!!

VL said...

Hmm. Did I just write Cormac MURPHY?!? Sheesh...