Sunday, August 05, 2007

The evil that men do lives after them;
the good is oft interred with their bones


Map of Bones
James Rollins
Avon

I met my latest boyfriend, Grayson Pierce, in transit. I was on my way home from Ottawa and he had been sent by the Vatican (and US special ops) to investigate a mysterious murder/theft from a cathedral in Germany. Our romance was fast-paced -- we hit five different countries in less than a week and it was mere hours after our chance encounter that I was up to my neck in spies, cults, cardinals and religious artifacts. I might have protested, but ... well, he was hot and it's not like I had anything better to do ...

Okay, so back to reality. Unfortunately for me, Grayson's not really my boyfriend. Sigh. I know -- you're completely stunned. He is, however, the lead character in Rollins' fast-paced, Ludlumesque thriller about an underground society that steals the bones of the three magi in an attempt to solve a centuries-old alchemical riddle. Throw in a bunch of murders, some special forces personal, corrupt church officials, and a psychotic grandma and you have a fairly brief (but accurate) synopsis of both plot and characterization.

I liked it. So much so, that I even recommended it to my dad. Map of Bones was a fine example of what I described earlier as True Grit Lit. If I am ever stuck in an airport without something to read, I won't think twice about picking up another Rollins' novel. Three shrouds of mystery out of five

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your loyal readers seem to have abandoned you, or maybe just their comments are on summer hiatus? Reruns anyone?

I spend a fair amount of time in transit myself -- currently I am en route from YUL to YOW via VIA (always wanted to put the via VIA thing in writing - now that I see it, it looks dorky). Just finished the Pork Sterling - not bad for food in a 3" x 8" ceramic dish that was prepared yesterday.

So when does your virtual book club go realtime? I can see acerbic conversations in some out-of-the-way East York diner, replete with your commentary and reccos, and mebbe the odd bunfight and heckler too. Seeing as you ignored my CBC suggestion, perhaps if you could distill you succinct reviews by a sentence or two and you could get a stand-up piece for the attention deficit crowd on City TV's BT (http://www.citytv.com/toronto/tvshows_breakfasttelevision.aspx for the non-YYZ centric folk reading along) Been there, done that -- and if Ann Rohmer could do it ... okay don't make me finish that sentence

I would drive down for a Sunday breakfast though -- sausage, runny eggs and wit! File under random musings from a fan who wish you opined with more regularity.

YXU AC*SE

Dave MacIntyre said...

Sounds cool! I'll have to give it a read! :)