Saturday, April 21, 2007

Notes from a Posthumous Land

The Road
Cormac McCarthy
Vintage

For whatever reason, I think I have been struck by a severe case of performance anxiety. I have been working on this post for a couple of days now and nothing I write seems good enough to keep. I wouldn't call it writer's block exactly -- I just know that there is a thought in my head trying to articulate itself on the page and somewhere, something is getting lost in the process.

A brilliant example of post-apocalyptic fiction, The Road chronicles the journey of an unnamed father and son as they travel through a catastrophe-ravaged world that offers nothing save ash on the wind. Pushing a shopping cart down the interstate, the rag-clad duo scavenge for whatever they can find while trying their best to avoid bands of menacing survivors, or as the young boy calls them, "bad guys."

At first glance, there is little hope in this novel. A pistol with two bullets is all that really stands between the travelers and an uncomfortable death. Why, then, I asked myself, do they go on? What could possibly be the purpose? The cynic in me says that the need to persevere is instinctual -- no different from the way in which a horse or a cow will turn its back to a blast of freezing prairie air. The critics seem to think that McCarthy's implicit message is that it is the love that the man bears for his child that is the wellspring of hope. I'm not really happy with either of those answers. If I look inside myself, I think I've traveled The Road from time to time (I'm pretty sure I was on it this week, in fact) and it was neither love nor hope that kept me going. It was the fundamentally naive belief that things will get better. Maybe I'm not so different from that cow in the wind.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm seconding "Anonymous" from April 10....write a book already Colin!

dog-eared soul said...

Ah, Colin Karrier is, I'm afraid, much more of a reader than a writer. Good to hear from you Anonymous Too. Hope all is well.

Anonymous said...

So where's the rating? Two, three, four (or more?) Mad Maxes out of five? I enjoy reading your commentary to break up the banality of my day. You should try and score a 15-minute documentary on the Ceeb - Out Front anyone? Maybe you can turn it into a full-time gig? You write way better than Adam Killick ever could, and he ended up working for AIH?!

http://www.cbc.ca/outfront/contribute/index.html


YXU AC*SE

dog-eared soul said...

A rating, eh? I don't know ... it was an Oprah book club selection, so I almost didn't pick it up. I might give it three point five Clives out of five. There was something very Children of Men-ish about it, after all.

Thanks for the compliments re: the writing and the Out Front suggestion. I don't think I could take this whole thing seriously, though, until readership on the site is up a bit. For the most part, I think my only readers are friends and/or family!

VL said...

You wrote: Thanks for the compliments re: the writing and the Out Front suggestion. I don't think I could take this whole thing seriously, though, until readership on the site is up a bit. For the most part, I think my only readers are friends and/or family!

Wrong. One of your readers is a curmudgeonly old troglodyte who you almost convinced to actually pick up and read a book with this latest review. YES, heed the voice of the people and write a book ... PLEASE!!!

dog-eared soul said...

Um, you said it dude,"ALMOST". Close only counts in hand grendades and something else I can't remember. And I love that curmudgeon, so you better watch what you say about him.

VL said...

Fishing with dynamite?

Sigh. Okay, okay. I'll see if I can get that curmudgeon to put on his spectacles and read the book!

P.S. I've heard that curmudgeonly old troglodytes don't really have hearts ... but if they did, a dog-eared soul would surely make them beat more joyfully.

VL said...

And now you made almost turn into actuality ... 4 bleak Karamazovs out of 5.

But was this really about a post-nuclear future or about the present lives of so many homeless and hopeless? I thought of that pretty young woman murdered at Yonge & Bloor (for her backpack?) Or the homeless pushing their carts through an uncaring city. Or...

Question: how the heck does one scrape off that infernal "Oprah" sticker???

dog-eared soul said...

i don't know ... what did you think it was about? the catastrophe goes unnamed (asteroid, nuclear bomb?) and everything is just so devastated. you'd think that something so disastrous would have levelling effects, but there is so much marginalism -- even in that limited society -- so you could be right. maybe it is about the homeless of today. maybe it is about searching for god (or what i think of as the sublime) in yourself and others. i don't know. glad you picked it up.