Saturday, January 30, 2021

I'm In a Book Club!

Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood
Trevor Noah
Anchor Canada

I've been struggling to write about this book for over a week now. Biography isn't really my jam and since I typically read to get away from the world, I rarely venture into the land of non-fiction. Why the exception? Well, one of my BFFs is a little worried about my sanity during lockdown, so she invited me to join her family book club. Hello Trevor Noah.

I think I liked this book despite the fact that I found the tone to be a bit condescending. Some of his stories are laugh out loud funny and I have to give him credit for trying to tackle racism head on. He's not always successful though -- the discussion of apartheid lacks nuance. I also found the narration to be a bit condescending. He tries hard to convince the reader of the "otherness" that gives his permission to  talk openly, honestly and objectively about race. His views, however, often seem colonial and reductive. 

If we put the discussion of racism aside, the book is also about Noah's "it's us against the world" relationship with his mom. If I had to pick a single word to describe her it would be indomitable. His choice of anecdotes really highlight how the two of them survived a hard-scrabble life under some very difficult circumstances. His tough love upbringing makes for some very funny moments and I feel lucky to have had the glimpse into his childhood. 

Born a Crime gets three polyglots out of five.


No comments: