Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Dear John

Mortal Causes
Ian Rankin
Orion

My dearest John,

What's up Buttercup?  I've missed you!  I know it has been forever since we have gotten together, but this week just isn't going to work for me.  Thank you so much for the invitation -- I would love nothing better than to hang with you at the Fringe -- but client deliverables, home renovations, and some rather odd health challenges are all keeping me busy.  Did I tell you that my new nickname is Ruby Splotches? Um, yeah.   Let's just say I've had more attractive days.

But enough about me.    I read in the paper that you've found yourself a new case.  Are you sure you shouldn't get out of homicide?  I actually resorted to calling Patience to track you down and she told me that you were having a "bit of trouble".  I couldn't tell if she was talking about your relationship, or the fact that you asked her to leave the flat due to safety concerns.  What the hell have you gotten yourself into now?  The paper mentioned that the kid you found is an illegitimate son of that mobster Big Ger Cafferty.  Didn't he just escape from jail?  Is that why you and Patience cleared out?  Ugh .. so many questions, so little time.

When I struck out with Patience, I tried Brian at the station and he said you'd been seconded to the SCS -- aren't they the "pricks" you were telling me about that deal with terrorism, organized crime, and all that "fun" policeman stuff?  No wonder I worry about you so.

Okay, I guess I should sign off.  Drop me a note to let me know how it all works out and when we can reschedule our date.  I checked out the programme for this year's line up and there is a show that we must see.  Robinson Crusoe the Lost Jedi Knight.  Sounds bad enough to be fantastic, right?  I heard it only got three stars, but who doesn't want to see Robinson Crusoe "Star Wars" style.  Hah!

love you,

DES xo

No comments: