Sunday, April 04, 2010

The Surreal Life

Fall
Colin McAdam
Penguin

I finished reading Fall on a Sunday afternoon about three weeks ago.  I tried to write about the book later that evening, but found that I didn't have the words.  I still don't seem to have them.  This is one of those novels that disturbs you on a fundamental level and once read, it is hard to get it out of your head.

The story opens at St. Ebury's -- a posh Ottawa boarding school.  Noel and Julius are roommates attending their senior year.  Noel is the son of a Canadian diplomat who is stationed in Australia.  He is quiet, obsessive, and unbeknownst to the rest of the school, a violent sociopath.  Julius is the son of the American ambassador to Canada.  He's tall, beautiful, athletic, and is the type of boy the Noel wishes he could be.  Fall, the character who lends the book one aspect of its title, is Julius' girlfriend and part of Noel's obsession.

I'm not sure why this book bothered me so much.  Admittedly, the subject was a little disturbing and it is clear from the opening passages that something is, well, not quite right.  Perhaps it was the narrative structure that threw me for a loop.  Noel, Julius and Julius' driver all take turns telling portions of the story and it is Noel's narration that is the most clear.  Or is it?  It has been weeks since I read this book and it is still taking up space in a corner of my mind.  The author either did a very good job, or something more is going on and I just need to figure out what it is.  Three pensive stars out of five.

No comments: