Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Twofer.  Fangtastic!

City of Ashes
City of Glass
Cassandra Clare
Simon & Schuster

Okay, so I'm going to cheat a little.   I was on holiday a week or so ago and I started my vacation by reading the second installment of Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments trilogy.  The flight to St. Lucia is rather long (not that I'm complaining -- I would totally go back), but had the plane gone down, I probably wouldn't have noticed.  City of Ashes was as good, if not better than City of Bones and I was totally hooked.  So much so, that I finished the novel before we disembarked.

As you might have noticed from the entries in the past week, I did a lot of other reading while on vacation.  Is there anything better than a hammock, a palm tree, a good book, and an even better daiquiri?  I think not.  Stupidly, I had decided not to bring City of Glass along for the ride since it is only out in hardback.  If you have read any of my earliest posts, you'll know that I have very specific rules about what constitutes good plane fare.

So, I waited.  And wow -- City of Glass was totally worth it.  Even though it is classified as young adult fiction, the Mortal Instruments series is much like the Harry Potter body of work in that it is consumable by all ages.  I understand that the author is currently writing a "prequel" to the events in this series and as horrific as it sounds, I'm actually looking forward to it.  The Mortal Instruments gets four singing swords out of five.

No comments: