Sunday, December 13, 2009

We are time's subjects, and time bids be gone

Wow -- why does it seem that every year goes by faster and faster?  I'd like to think that there is some super-cool scientific explanation, but if one exists, I couldn't find it.  Part of me understands that it is just a matter of perception, but if time is whizzing past now, what will it be like when I'm older?  Ugh ... I can't even bear to think of it. 

So, back to the the purpose of this week's entry.  It is with great pleasure that I introduce the nominees for the D-E-S Book of the Year.  Once again, it's a bit of a mixed bag.  I tried to expand my reading boundaries this year and the book list reflects those choices.  Quite frankly, any of the selections is a more than decent read and more than one has made it to the distribution list in terms of this year's gifts.

And the nominees are:

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith
The Elegance of the Hedgehog, Muriel Barbery
The Moonstone, Wilkie Collins
The Gargoyle, Andrew Davidson

Sarah's Key, Tatiana de Rosnay
Middlemarch, George Eliot
Anathem, Neal Stephenson

No comments: