Saturday, November 07, 2009

Paranormal Activity?

Born of Fire
Sherrilyn Kenyon
St. Martin's Press

Question: When is a bad vampire romance novel not a bad vampire romance novel? Answer: When it is a bad "paranormal" romance novel. Okay, I admit it ... I made slight error in judgement when I picked this one off the shelf. All I can say in my defense is that I was lured into thinking that I might actually enjoy it when I read the words "alternate universe," illicit scandal," and "assassin." The main character's name was "Syn" for goodness sake -- how could I go wrong?

To be fair to the novel, there were parts that I enjoyed (and no, I'm not talking about the sex scenes.) There was a "character" in the book named Vik, who was a robot wicked sense of humour. The fact that a robot could have wicked sense of humour really intrigued me and I very much liked this instance of Kenyon's imagination. The storyline was also relatively interesting and had the novel been better written, I think it could have been quite something. One fizzling blaster out of five.

No comments: