Sunday, November 22, 2009


I'm Swede on You

Benny and Shrimp
Katarina Mazetti
Penguin


I'm not usually prone to words like "heartwarming" and "charming," yet I can't think of anything better to describe this novel.  Benny and Shrimp are an unlikely pair that meet on a bench in a cemetery.  Benny is "visiting" with his mother and Shrimp (whose real name is Desiree) is contemplating the grave of her recently deceased husband.  One day, the couple exchange smiles and it is as if Cupid has sent arrows straight into their hearts.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that despite their obvious passion, they really aren't that compatible.

Benny is a farmer on the outskirts of town.  His life is tied to the rhythm of his cows and he is looking for a traditional Swedish helpmate -- someone who can help him fix the tractor, warm his bed, and make fantastic meatballs.  Shrimp, on the other hand, lives a more cerebral life.  She likes abstract art, thoughtful discussions about Lacan, and is the head of the children's section at the local library.  They are both in their late thirties and not expecting to be seized by love.  But they are and it surprising and funny and beautiful.

I'm not going to tell you how this story turns out.  It's actually worth the read.  Leaf fans be on the lookout for a reference to our team -- I think the author might have had a crush on Sundin.  Three quirky moo cows out of five.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

erratum: cemetery I am sure you were tired when you posted this

dog-eared soul said...

LOL -- not really. My text editor seems to have lost the spell check and I am a crap on-line proofer.

Thanks for the catch and I will fix it this evening when I have more time.