Sunday, June 07, 2009

I Need Brains ... In a Good Way

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
Quirk Books
Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith


What do you get when you take a classic piece of English literature and add zombies, Shaolin-trained country misses, and the occasional honour-killing? Well, aside from the fact that it sounds like a perfect script for the next Bruce Campbell project, you get a fantastic read that makes you think about first impressions, class warfare (pun intended) and the topsy-turvy nature of relationships.

I loved this novel! I'm not exactly sure how Grahame-Smith managed to insert both zombies and ninjas into the text and still preserve that early Regency feel, but he did. His grotesque version of this story somehow enhances Austen's original work and his subtle addition of some off-colour humour about balls (um, of the dance variety) actually made me laugh out loud. Four decaying unmentionables out of five.

2 comments:

Julia said...

One of my friend's got this book for his birthday! I thought it was a riot. I love the illustrations.

dog-eared soul said...

Oooh ... good point Julia! I forgot to tell everyone that it has illustrations. I've been checkin' out your LiveJournal from time to time. Loved the diner stories. xo