Thursday, December 04, 2008

Soul Reading

Hey kids! Isn't it amazing how quickly the year passes? It seems like just the other week that I was wracking my brain trying to figure out how to come up with a shortlist for the 2007 D-E-S Book of the Year.

Well, this year's exercise hasn't been any easier. I read so many fantastic books in the past twelve months that it really is a difficult task to come up with a top five. Because of you, dear reader, I expanded my horizons and read outside my comfort zone. I flirted with mysterious men, I fell in love with circus performers, and I opened my mind to theories (economic and otherwise) that I thought I'd never understand. Thank you ever so much.

So, without further ado, I am pleased to announce this year's six nominees for the D-E-S Book of the Year:

  • Water For Elephants - Sara Gruen
  • The Thirteenth Tale - Diane Setterfield
  • The Professor and the Madman - Simon Winchester
  • Lonely Werewolf Girl - Martin Millar
  • The Maltese Falcon - Dashiell Hammett
  • A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini

As always, I'll make the official announcement sometime after Christmas day. This isn't like Canada Reads, so please feel free share your favourites via the comments/feedback link. I'm hoping that at least one of you makes a suggestion or two that will influence future posts in this space.

Have a warm, safe and happy holiday season. Wishing each of you peace and joy for 2009.

No comments: