Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Anything But

The Big Sleep
Raymond Chandler
Vintage Crime/Black Lizard

Okay, so I've got to come clean. Deep breath ... I'm addicted to detective novels. There ... I said it and it hardly even hurt. Of course, I'm blaming it all on an evil, yet "well-intentioned" friend. Last summer when I was dying for a good book, Russ recommended Chandler's The Big Sleep. Unfortunately, the local bookstore didn't have it and I picked up The Lady in the Lake instead. I totally loved that novel, but believe it or not, this one was even better.

Like the other Marlowe book, The Big Sleep is set in and around Los Angeles in the late 30s. The cagey and unspeakably sexy hero, Philip Marlowe, has been hired by an aging oil tycoon to find out who has been blackmailing one of his wayward daughters. There are more twists in this plot than a mountain road has curves, and while I will admit to finding it a bit of a stretch at times, the writing was so engaging that I didn't really care. Chandler possesses a grim economy of words that is both disconcerting and delightful. His more than slightly misogynistic descriptions of women are especially wonderful and for those of you who are (un)lucky enough to have me as an IM contact, you might have noticed that you were treated to an entire week of politically incorrect Marlowisms.

Oh yeah ... if you haven't figured it out, the title of this week's entry relates to the title of the book. It was anything but a big sleep --in fact, I couldn't put it down. Four RedBulls out of five.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Funny that you should post this particular novel... I reserved a copy at a local second hand bookstore earlier this afternnon - seeing that the larger box stores DON'T keep Chandler in stock!!!

I'll be sure to make a quick run to the store for some red bull prior to cracking the spine!

*sigh* Hopefully, I'll be able to squeeze in some reading...

Ciao!

dog-eared soul said...

Agreed. The world needs more Chandler. Enjoy, Anonymous, let us know how you liked it.

k.