Sunday, June 10, 2007

Missives from an Old Friend

Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction
Sue Townsend
Penguin

When I was a teenager, my parents let me spend summers up at the cottage. I have so many good memories of those years -- kissing my first boy, cruising with my cousin Chris in his white Chevy Cavalier, rollerskating to Electric Avenue at the arena, and spending late nights down by the water watching the stars and listening to the chattering of the raccoons.

The cottage was even fun on stormy days. If the bay was really rough, Mom would let us put our legs through the arm holes of a life jacket and bob up and down in the waves. She'd only call us in if we were turning blue from cold or if the lightning was getting too close. One such afternoon, she gave us the hook and offered to make hot chocolate so we could warm up. We settled ourselves in front of the television expecting to watch an old Elvis movie and instead, we saw an episode of the BBC's The Secret Diaries of Adrian Mole Aged, 13 and 3/4. I cried I laughed so hard and I was completely smitten with Adrian and Pandora for the rest of the summer.

Sadly, I don't think the Weapons of Mass Destruction stood up well against my memories of the programme or Townsend's first book. Adrian is still a git, Pandora is still a bitch, and Adrian's life, in general, is still a mess. The only thing that I did appreciate about the novel was Townsend's not-so-subtle political commentary. In this installment of the diaries, Adrian's son, Glenn, is shipped to Iraq and Townsend very poignantly deals with the loss of Glenn's best friend. That storyline aside, there wasn't much else to keep my interest. So much so, in fact, that I think my relationship with Adrian is over. This book gets two scuds out of five. Oh wait ... that was the last invasion, er, I mean war ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unlike other literary followers that have been posting to your blog, I still haven’t graduated from popup books with pretty pictures to any of the selections you have reviewed, getting very close though. Can’t believe you haven’t started a book yet and hazard a guess that you probably have a good one in mind and most likely the outline started… what are you waiting for? You know you want to, at least share the storyline for your fans will ya. Maybe as a sideline you should consider doing book introductions or those little quotes at the front (sure there is a fancy name for those that I can’t pronounce) or better yet, “Literature for dummies” I would be first in line for the autograph.

Wise beyond your years and keep it up, your reviews continue to make my day.

J.

Dave MacIntyre said...

I used to be a big fan of Adrian Mole and his antics.

It made me feel SO OLD when I saw "The Cappuccino Years" on the bargain rack at Chapters one day.