Monday, October 30, 2006

Wherefor art thou Bubba Ho-tep?

Make Love! the Bruce Campbell Way
Bruce Campbell
Thomas Dunne Books

I have a confession. Deep breath .... I love Bruce Campbell. There, I said it and it hardly even hurt. For those of you who aren't BC fans, he's a former Michigander who has starred in a bunch o' crazy B movies, indie flicks, and lots and lots of television shows. In fact, it was on the small screen that the dashing Bruce first caught my eye. Ready for another humiliating admission? I fell in love with him while watching episodes of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys. Um, okay (shuffle, pause, blush) ... and on Xena: Warrior Princess. Yeah, yeah, I had seen him in other things, but it was Autolycus that captured my heart -- or at the very least, my imagination. So, over the years, my interest in all things Bruce continued to grow (why else would someone rent a DVD called Bubba Ho-tep?) and I found myself with a couple of his books on my shelves.

Make Love! the Bruce Campbell Way is a novel about a B movie actor (Bruce) who lands and then researches a small (but important) role in a A-list feature film. Trying to impress, he dispenses advice to the director (Mike Nichols,) gives fashion tips to the female lead (Renee Zellweger,) and manages to debauch a Buddhist in Vegas (Richard Gere.) Honestly, while the story is not as well written as If Chins Could Kill, it is hysterically funny. Pee your pants kind of funny. I actually laughed out loud and since it kind of reads like a B movie, I think I can say that I had "rollicking good time."

As for a rating, this one gets three out of five zombies. Unless you're a huge Bruce Campbell fan, in which case it gets five zombies. And a groovy.

No comments: