Friday, February 16, 2007

In the Immortal Words of DW -- Boogity boogity boogity!

Thunderstruck
Roxanne St. Claire
Harlequin

So, I'm going to take a wild guess here and assume that some of you reading this blog are wondering what in the H-E double hockey sticks I'm talking about in the title. Um, well ... DW would be Darrell Waltrip. Boogity boogity boogity is what he says at the start of a race. Uh huh ... that's right, sports fans, tomorrow afternoon will find me sitting in front of my television, a Budweiser in one hand, a bowl of chili in the other, celebrating the start to a new NASCAR Nextel Cup season.

Imagine my delight (and frankly, bewilderment) when on my way home from work on Friday I stopped at the local bookshop and found Thunderstruck. Honestly ... I had no idea that NASCAR has it own series of Harlequin romances. Once I managed compose myself (I almost hit the floor I was laughing so hard) I purchased a copy of said romance and unashamedly dug in. The basic "plot" is as follows: Handsome, athletic boy meets beautiful grease monkey girl. After much sexual tension and a few kisses, boy and girl fall in love. Boy and girl then have a huge fight. Boy and girl then make up and live happily ever after. The end.

I've read my fair share of Harlequins and this one was as wonderfully crappy as all the rest. The best part of this novel, however, was that it was set at the Daytona track during Speed Week. It couldn't have been more perfect! And just in case you missed it in the About Me section of this blog -- this year, I'm cheering for Tony Stewart, Dale Earnhardt Jr., and Juan Pablo Montoya. While I think all of them are talented drivers (Tony especially), I'm really cheering for them because I think they are all very attractive. Well, I guess there is a little more to it than that ... I like Tony because he can be a supreme dick on the track and his anger and bad behaviour make me laugh. Junior is my sentimental favourite because his accent just kills me, and I quite liked JP (I've decided to call him JP) when he raced in F1.

Enjoy the race, everyone. I know I will.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, but the best act of sportsmanship would have been for Harvick to let off of the accelerator for just a second to let Martin win by 2 hundredths of a second so Martin would have one Daytona 500 win. I was really disappointed by that.

Anonymous said...

Just have to say... GO STRAIGHT, TURN LEFT. Okay, so do that at 200 mph (321.86kph for the Candians) only 3 inches from the car in front and beside you, but still.... Harvick should have let Martin win...

dog-eared soul said...

yeah, i thought that too, initially. but then, it is daytona, and if i were mark martin would the win mean anything if i thought the other guy eased up? tough call. but then again, what the heck do i know. 2/3 of the guys i cheered for didn't even finish the damn race.

Anonymous said...

Too bad there isn't a bring forward function in your comments? I was watching the Budweiser Shootout(tm) last night, and it was nice to see Junior win. Thought immediately of you.

Reach up there and pull those belts tight, boys!

AC*SE in YXU